We took road 633, then 61, and after half an hour of going in and out around the fjords, we stopped briefly in Litlibaer, a little historic farm house that was built in 1895. There was a sign outside explaining the history of the place. It was possible to buy coffee and home-made jam. I regret not to have bought some blue berries jam :-(
“Litlibaer was built in 1895. The hayfield around the house is enclosed by stone wall and has an area of 3 hectares. The residents lived of fishing and farming. The house at Litlibaer has an area of only 3.9 X 7.4 meters. There were two kitchen outhouses nearby. As many as 20 people lived in the house at times, and it was occupied until 1969. Just south of the stone wall are the ruins of circular stone-built shelter, which is considered much older than other stone construction at Litlibaer.”
A few hundreds meters away, we stopped at Hvítanes, with the hope to spot some seals sunbathing on the rocks. We did some seal watching previously, but it was a lot more windy and rainy than here :-) The seals didn’t mind our presence, but we stay rather far away in order to not disturb them.
We passed in front of the The Arctic Fox Center, where the brother of our little fox was taken, located in an old farm in the fishing village of Súðavík, 1 hour from Hvitanes. We visited the museum and learned a lot of the Arctic foxes, that was really interesting ! We learned that Arctic foxes live in various habitats and climates, from freezing Canadian tundra to the relatively mild Iceland.
In Sudavik, we had lunch at Amma Habbýn, an American diner. It looked a bit old, but it was good and cheap.
Ísafjörður was our final destination of the day. Fishing has been the main industry in Ísafjörður, and the town has one of the largest fisheries in Iceland. We walked a bit in the town, take the car to go to a viewpoint, but all in all there wasn’t so much to do over there. We took this opportunity to do our laundry in a camping nearby :-)